It’s an incident TUXI faced a week back with a Product owner. The client’s product has to be re-designed. As usual, an introduction meeting was conducted over skype with the client. One of our TUXI member was talking to them he was asking them the budget & schedule. The answer was “we have not budgeted for UX & Schedule is ASAP”.
Good! No problem. Client wanted us to tell us the amount and let them know and also about the schedule as well. Hence our friend told an approximate cost to them. Why so costly? A big question. As part of our conversation the TUXI member talked about the user testing i.e. Identification and invitation of users, Involvement of users etc.
So here is a part of our conversation wanted to share …
We will be sharing, What happened after that and how we tackle.
But if you are UX professional or a user researcher. what do you think ?What would you have done or answered?
Please reply few of your thoughts or experience. It will help others as well.
What a layout & ——-((*%&$(%)@$%@—————-
In our previous blog we had shown, one of the inner pages. Here is another example of bad layout from ICICI net banking. The user lands on this page when he logs in. We have noticed few points, which are given by the random users.
- Lots of white space on the page, the white space could have been utilized properly. Many more information could have been brought in to the page. Out of these information i can see, most of them are not useful.
- The information/content looks random and confusing. It could have been organized in a better way.
- Looks like the page is designed by a 5th Std school boy.
- There is a section called pre-qualified loan and in the first place home loan offer is not available.
- For what reason the calendar is there on the page, no information about the calendar. What is the purpose of this calendar here
- There are few short cuts list, no need of scrolling on this but hey could have spread out these links and utilized the white space.
Users were really showing their frustration. Few of them liked the earlier design. As UX professionals we felt in this design the designers have not done any task analysis, information architecture is missing, might not have done the user evaluation. We think they might ready to conduct a training session for the users.
If you LIKE, Then SHARE it
As a startup firm, UXI team is attending many business meet. Recently one of the meet was conducted by BangaloreStartup and approximately 40-45 different startups were there in the event. All were busy understanding each other, their nature of business and products etc. The members of UXI team were talking to a product team. The product team wanted to know what is UX?,.. How it works?… When and where it is applicable?… etc.
In the mean while two gentlemen joined the group and started listening about UX. After sometime one of the gentlemen of two took out his card and introduced himself as an owner of a startup company (name not disclosed) & he mentioned about his product. He said that he wants to apply UX Process into his product. We were happy that we might get a project. 😀
Then we exchanged our business cards. While giving the card to us, he asked
“How is the UX of my LOGO & CARD?”
We were lost, speechless #$%#*&%#%*#&@%% …… Tried to understand, what did he ask? and what he was trying to know from us.
We could notice, he wanted us to talk about the visual design of the Logo and his business Card.
So in currently in this era many people want to use Fancy, Innovative words without understanding the meaning of it. UX is such kind of word been used in wrong sense.
What do you think? Leave a reply.
Recently ICICI Net banking has been re-designed. UXI team thought to do a mini and casual survey on the same. And we thought to approach random users in few areas in India. Our team found many of the users are not happy with the current design. The question is Why? You can go through the points below given by the real end users and ask yourself, is it a good or bad design?
What they have to say about this screen. Of course many points were there in the list but only very few we thought to put on this writing.
- There is a section called my shortcuts (favorite), which is not in the right place. It should be on the top of the left navigation. No idea for what reason it has been placed at the bottom.
- There are many task in the application but they have given only few of them in the for customization
- The user does not know in which page he is in. Whether he is in the fund transfer page or in my shortcut or in favorite page. Totally confused.
- Currently the user has to select single or multiple items from the activities to favorite activities. The user has to select items then click on the orange button. Why can’t they provide a better interaction design? For Ex. Why not the activities item is added to the favorite activities section as soon as the user selects any of the items from the left list.
Yes ! ! ! These points are really valid. Don’t u think? The end users are unhappy and no idea whether the application has undergone through the UX Design Process or Usability Engineering Process.
So our observation says, If this design is been developed without thinking about the users, then it’s a BETA design. And if it has undergone through the UXD process, then it’s really Bad Design.
Thanks in advance for your reply.